Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Everything gets worse: An example from State Farm

 I'm old enough to remember that when you signed up for auto insurance, they would send you a real card. A piece of plastic with your policy number, name etc. That way, as long as you paid your bill, you didn't have to worry about keeping a current card in your wallet or glove compartment.

Then, at some point, they moved to new cards every time your policy renewed. In my case, every 6 months. The cards were thicker than normal paper but not quite card stock. They were perforated and if you folded them multiple times you could safely detach them and put in your wallet or glove compartment.

Now? None of that nonsense. You have to login to print your own cards now. I'm guessing the exorbitant insurance premiums we pay aren't enough for a stamp and a couple sheets of paper anymore. 

When I asked my agent about it, she pointed me to the App. Fuck an app. I'm not installing anything I don't have to on this godforsaken cell phone and, the last thing I'm going to do is hand my phone to a cop.

Enshittification is the word. Everything gets worse. Greed is the culprit.


J

No comments:

Post a Comment