Wednesday, September 23, 2026

So, yeah Topeka

I work in cybersecurity and have an extensive background in teaching. I don't remember how we found one another, but a company contracted me to fly out, with several other instructors, and provide a week-long course in cyber to State of Kansas IT employees. It paid well enough and I did it to keep my name out there. I've driven across Kansas twice and spent one night there post-concert but had never really hung out.
Topeka is the capital city and feels like a bigger city. But there's no one there?! It got weird enough that I looked up the populations, 150ish but metro is only another 75k! I lean towards Kansas City Missouri is only an hour due east and likely has a graviatational pull. Bigger, more stuff to do, more jobs, sports, and a big airport.
I will say the houses and neighborhoods are cute and there's a very modern looking university there. Happily I report that Topeka has it's share of lefties, guessing that university helps there.
Housing is pretty cheap which lends me to believe the population theory, and/or jobs don't pay well.
Hope you like the pics. JS

No comments:

Post a Comment