Contrapposto by Dave EggersMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
4.5 rounded up.
I, as a rule, nearly never read a 400 page contemporary work of fiction. In particular from a white guy, it feels like you're just jerking off the author. Tighten it up man. However, I read every page of this and while I could feel the heft of the book, it didn't feel too long at all.
I loved this book, it had all the things I crave, art, love, travel and a hell of a narrative arc.
A couple of nitpicky things keep it from being perfect. Prior to being 20, the protagonist, Cricket comes across almost special or autistic then suddenly seems pretty much normal after the age of 20 or so. Not a criticism but there's traces of Forrest Gump in the relationship between the two main characters. Lastly, very minor, the timeline is a smidge off. They mention he's 15 when a certain song is on then the book ends with them in their 70s, unless the author got creative and put them in the future they would only be in their late 50s.
But I loved it, gave me the feels and made me want to make some art.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment