Friday, May 15, 2026

The Pharcyde - Iron City, Birmingham, AL 05/13/2026

 



Who: Pharcyde 
Where: Iron City, BHM
When: 13 May 2026

Anytime someone mentions 90s hip hop acts coming to town, I'm interested. For someone born and raised far from hip hop's birthplace, I think I'm the perfect age for it. To clarify, I'm 51, meaning I was listening to music on the radio, cassettes and records from early 80s onwards. I know hip hop was born in the 70s but for all practical purposes it came alive in the 80s. I feel it was perfected in the 90s and has become saturated/bloated/not-as-good in the last 15-20 years. I know I'm old, but I said what I said.

Anyway, my friend Bryan hipped me to The Pharcyde coming to town and, of course, I was down to go. 

Iron City is traditionally a standing only venue without paying an exorbitant fee for balcony seats, so we got there early to grab a spot on the rail just past the sunken pit area. Truthfully, it's my favorite spot, it's not that far from the stage, 50-60 feet and you're eye level with the artists.

Starting right on time, Birmingham hip hop legends, DJ Supreme and Shaheed. These folks are everywhere and it's downright criminal that they are not known nationwide. Their songs have killer beats and Shaheed is a very talented MC. They have a foundation K.R.U., which stands for Knowledge, Rhythm and Understanding, it teaches kids skills such as, DJ, recording technology, marketing, design and the like. As expected, they got the crowd moving and ready for the headliner.


After a short break, The Pharcyde stormed the stage. Booming bass, 3 MCs 1 DJ and nothing but 90s hip hop goodness. The veteran performers had their stage banter down to a science with call-and-response, fan votes, (which side of the crowd is more live). It was pure joy.



Bottom line: When given the chance to go witness veteran performers, especially hip hop:

Buy the ticket.




No comments:

Post a Comment